Monday, May 23, 2011

Balls, Bats, and Wedding Bells in Bradenton

(This post originally appeared on Bus Leagues Baseball.com)

There is rarely a minor league I have attended that did not feature a special group of fans in attendance. Being that I go to most of my games on the weekends, that usually means gaggles of kids from the local little league, a local retiree group, or perhaps even a company function of some sort. But last Friday in Bradenton I saw my first pre-wedding party.

Enjoying the Florida State League game between the Bradenton Marauders and Dunedin Blue Jays was the family and friends of Christine Kennedy and Rich Meier, a couple planning on tying the knot the next day. I caught up with Christine and Rich and asked them a few questions about baseball, their guests, and their upcoming wedding.

Bus Leagues Baseball: So what brought you guys to the ballpark tonight?

Christine: We wanted something that was fun and Florida-ish and different than just a plain old dinner and everybody is here from out of town, so we wanted to give them something fun to do.

BLB: Are you guys from the Bradenton area?

Christine: We are from the Bradenton area and we have a good friend who works with the Marauders and she helped to set this up.

BLB: So whose idea was it?

Christine: It was mine. I'm the big baseball fan.

Rich: I love baseball, but she is the bigger fan, for sure.

Christine: We go to a lot of games.

BLB: You come here often then?

Rich: Yeah, we are regulars.

Christine: Yeah, we do. It's a fun night out and it's actually a cheap date.

BLB: You did the dizzy bat race, how did that go?

Christine: It was awesome. I won.

Rich: I was robbed.

Christine: I always wanted to do it, too.

BLB: Do your wedding plans involve baseball at all?

Christine: No, no. It is an actual real wedding. We just thought this would be fun and different for everyone.

BLB: Where did everyone come from?

Rich: We have relatives that came in from Chicago, as far as California, Texas ...

Christine: Ohio

Rich: Ohio, Washington DC, Indiana, all over the country.

BLB: And everyone is having a good time tonight?

Christine: Looks like it. Nobody is sleeping. Even my dad made it.

Congratulations to Rich and Christine and thanks to both of them for taking the time to talk to Bus Leagues Baseball.