Monday, September 12, 2011

Interview with Dunedin Blue Jays Super Fan Torianne Valdez




(This post originally appeared on Bus Leagues Baseball.com)

As part of our efforts here at Bus Leagues Baseball, we try to interview every aspect of the minor league baseball experience. Through the years, we’ve talked to people on the field and behind the scenes, but this year we are also trying to capture the essence of the fan. Because Minor League Baseball is nothing without the fans, those people who spend their hard-earned dollars to support their local squad and maybe see a glimpse of the big leaguers of tomorrow.

A month or so ago, I realized I was seeing a lot of pictures from Dunedin Blue Jays games on my friend Torianne’s Facebook feed. Although it is usual for friends to have pictures from a game when you have baseball in common, Torianne was posting new pictures almost every week. So of course, we had to meet up at a game and talk about the bus leagues.

This interview was conducted shortly after Game 1 of Round 1 of the Florida State League Playoffs on September 6th, 2011.

BLB: How long have you been going to Dunedin Blue Jays games?

TV: It’s only been a few months, I would say. Since Spring Training of this year.

BLB: So what makes you a super fan?

TV: I attend pretty much all the games. I just like the atmosphere. It’s a hometown feel. It’s very family oriented and very fun.

BLB: Your brother works for the team, right? How long has he worked for the Blue Jays?

TV: He has been here since January of this year.

BLB: Did you attend games before he worked here? Or did you start attending because he works for the Blue Jays?

TV: I did not come here before he worked here. He did introduce us to the City of Dunedin and ever since then, we have been hooked and we keep coming.

BLB: I had a chance to meet your whole family at a game last week. Can you talk about them? Is it normal for everyone to show up for a game?

TV: Yeah, our family is really into sports so they were super excited when my brother got this job. I have two little cousins who are probably even bigger fans than me. They have their certain spot near the dugout during every game. Some of the players know them and go straight to them with balls. So our whole family loves it and they all attend a lot.

BLB: Is the Dunedin aspect new to your family? Or have you all met at Rays games, Lightning games, and other events in the area?

TV: It’s kinda a tradition. My grandfather went to (University of) Florida, so we grew up going to Gator games together. He would bring us to Lightning games. We go to tons of games during the year. So this is nothing new. But the Dunedin part is new.

BLB: Is there a big difference between getting together at a minor league game and getting together at a major league sporting event or a big college game?

TV: Minor league is more relaxed, laid back, and easy going. I think that’s why my whole family likes coming, it’s something fun to do on a Friday rather than all the hoopla of going to an NFL game or even a Rays game.

BLB: How would you compare the Rays/Tropicana Field experience to Dunedin?

TV: Fan experience it’s similar. They have a very family oriented atmosphere and it’s laid back. I do like that this is outdoors, even though they have been rained out plenty of times recently. But I do like that it’s an outdoor stadium.

BLB: Is your whole family from the Tampa area?

TV: We cover every area of Tampa: Carollwood, Temple Terrace, Brandon, Valrico, South Tampa, and Dunedin. We don’t have anyone in St. Pete, that’s it.

BLB: Are you going to keep meeting up here next season? Is your brother returning?

TV: He just got a full-time gig here recently, so he will be here for years to come, I’m sure. We’ve already signed up for season tickets for next year, so yeah, we’ll be back.

BLB: Who is your favorite Dunedin Blue Jay?

TV: I would have to say probably Brad McElroy because I won his jersey on one of the theme nights and I met him there.

BLB: I know you told me once that you worked for the Tampa bay Lightning. How do the players there compare to the players here?

TV: The only experience I had with the Lightning players was when we had giveaways. We had to take season ticket holders to meet them. But we rotated and I only got to do that one time. So I met one player only. But these players are a lot more hands on. They are more approachable. They talk to the fans after the game and they sign autographs.

BLB: Have you been to any of the other local parks: Tampa, Clearwater, etc? How does Dunedin compare to them?

TV: I’ve been to Steinbrenner Field and I’ve been to Clearwater, where the Threshers play. Both of those seem a lot bigger than Dunedin, but I think they are a little more well-known as well. I enjoy Dunedin. Maybe it’s because I am loyal to them now. I’ll choose them over the Threshers.

BLB: Are you a Blue Jays fan now?

TV: I’m still a Rays fan, but as far as minor leagues, I’m with the Blue Jays.

BLB: So what are some of the things you like the most about coming to the ballpark here?

TV: I would have to say, number one, is the friendly staff (laughs).

BLB: Which of course, includes your brother.

TV: Yeah, but I don’t think I’ll count him. Kidding. They are all super friendly, helpful, and they engage you in contests.

BLB: Now is that something that has increased as you have been become more of a regular here? Would you say you are part of the Dunedin Blue Jays family?

TV: Yeah, I have gotten to know the staff pretty well. And I think we are the official family of the Dunedin Blue Jays.

BLB: Does that include everyone: aunts, uncles, cousins?

TV: Yeah, we are all pretty well known here now. And only after one season.

BLB: Did you go to any spring training games here?

TV: We did. We went to a couple of them. I came to the game against the Rays.

BLB: I tried to go to that one, but it was sold out.

TV: That was the only one I think I went to. My family went to a few others. It’s a much bigger crowd. It’s harder to sit right behind the dugout. Still, it’s a fun atmosphere.

BLB: That’s another thing about the games here, that it's general admission. So where is your favorite place to sit? Are you a behind the plate person?

TV: I like behind the Jays’ dugout. You are low and can still see everything. My family loves to sit up higher in the corner of the stadium and out of the sun. But behind home plate is not bad either. It’s not bad for six dollars.