Friday, October 14, 2011

Interview with Miami Minor League Baseball Historian Kurt Schweizer - Part 3



(This post originally appeared on Bus Leagues Baseball.com)

This Part 3 of our extensive interview with Miami-based baseball historian Kurt Schweizer. Part 1 and Part 2 are available here.

You can find more of Kurt’s efforts on his Original Miami Marlins Facebook page, his feature story on growing up on Miami baseball, and his photo essay of Miami Stadium.

Bus Leagues Baseball: Have you heard whether or not the Marlins will recognize any of the extensive history of Miami baseball or the history of the Orange Bowl in their new stadium? Do you think they should?

Kurt Schweizer: I think they absolutely should. There is obviously a tremendous amount of college and pro football history with the OB but there is also a bit of baseball history there. In 1956, the Miami Marlins played a game there in front of a sold out house and Satchel Paige was the Marlins starting pitcher. And the Caribbean League Championship Series was played there in 1990 and I attended one of those games. Also, Miami Stadium’s predecessor, Miami Field, was located in the Southwest corner of the OB parking lot. That stadium was before my time but I had some relatives whom attended games there. I’m not sure to what extent they will honor all of that history, but, so far, I understand they are building some kind of artistic monument piece that is made from the Orange Bowl’s main sign. So, while I think that is nice, it doesn’t make up for the fact that an important and large piece of Miami sports history was destroyed unnecessarily, in my view.

BLB: What are your feelings on the Marlins becoming the Miami Marlins?

KS: I have very mixed feelings about that and about them even being called the Marlins in the first place. On the one hand, it is nice as an honor to history, but on the other hand, it was a completely new team and completely separate from the two Minor League franchises that used the name at Miami Stadium, so I always thought they should have a completely new name. And, of course, I fully understood that they used “Florida” in the name to appeal to fans all over the state and not just in Miami. So, I understand why many of the Marlins’ fans in Broward, Palm Beach and other counties, are unhappy about the upcoming change to Miami Marlins. I don’t blame them. And to me, the Miami Marlins name will always refer to the team I grew up watching in the 80s and the eras prior to that. So, if it were up to me, I would give them a totally new name or would at least keep it as it stands currently, as the Florida Marlins. But, it is what it is. I will have to just get used to it.

BLB: What's next for your history projects?

KS: I’m always interested in doing or contributing to any projects related to the history of pro baseball and Spring Training in Miami, as well as other parts of Florida. The Miracle have asked me to be involved in their celebration of that franchise’s 20 year anniversary of moving to Fort Myers, so I am looking forward to that. Also, just today, in fact, a local historic preservation group contacted me about using some of my pictures and an article on their website. So, I am happy that there is still an interest out there.

BLB: You worked briefly in the front office of the Fort Myers Miracle. Why move with the franchise after it left Miami?

KS: Initially, I wasn’t at all happy that the franchise moved out of Miami, first to Hialeah, then to the West Miami area, on the campus of FIU and then to Pompano Beach for two years before finally settling in Ft Myers. I went to see them in each location and actually worked for them part time in Miami, Hialeah and FIU prior to Ft Myers, meeting some great people along the way, most notably Marlins GM Sonny Hirsch, who was a local Miami sports legend and worked in radio and TV and also in the Marlins/Orioles front office for about 30 years. I miss him and wish I could’ve worked for him much longer. But, after a while, I became more accepting and more comfortable with each of those moves because I understand all too well that, ultimately, the baseball business is just that—a business. They had to make those moves for business purposes and I can’t blame them for that. They have found great business success in Fort Myers, under the leadership of Mike Veeck and Marv Goldklang. And after a while, it just came to the point that the Miami area was not the right environment to sustain Minor League Baseball. So, I am happy that they have found a suitable home over there on the west coast of Florida. There were very few regular fans left in the franchise’s Miami fan base by the time the 80s came around. There were some great fans but just not enough of them. But, in Ft. Myers, there are a lot of very passionate baseball fans over there who love Minor League ball and give them the support that they just weren’t able to get enough of during their last several years in the Miami area. Plus I enjoyed working and living in Ft. Myers while I was with their front office. It would have been really nice for me to work full time in Miami Stadium, though, because it was my first love but I wouldn’t trade my experience in Ft. Myers for anything. I met a lot of great fans and worked with a lot of great people over there, as well, and I learned a lot from them, about the sports industry and about life.

BLB: Do you feel the Miracle have a responsibility to acknowledge the history of the franchise now that they are in Fort Myers?

KS: Yes, I think every pro sports franchise owes that to their fans and to themselves. Tradition and history is such a huge part of sports, but particularly to pro baseball, in my opinion. Generally, the Miracle have been very open to honoring their franchise’s rich and varied history. And I am always honored and happy to help them do that in whatever way I can.

We want to thank Kurt again for his time.