Tuesday, July 9, 2013

New post on the Tampa Bay Rays on DRaysBay.com

I pitched an idea to the editors of DRaysBay.com, one of the biggest online websites covering the Rays. Although I have written for Rays Index.com, I like to stay in good terms with everyone and write a feature for other sites when possible. And the guys from DRaysBay have always been nice, and have provided me opportunities on other occasions, such as last year's piece: The Quest for 2 Million: 12 Ways to Market the Rays.

The year's article also explores the Rays from a business sense. Instead of proposals, however, I examine one of the Rays competitors in trying to attract fans: the five Florida State League minor league teams in the Tampa Bay area. This was a tough piece to write, not from the research part, but because I really do enjoy going to minor league baseball games and have written so much about the teams, the players, and the experiences. But I think the presence of those teams and the league is hindering the Rays ability to draw butts in the seats.

So check it out and if you like it, please let me know:


(Quick update: this post was linked on twitter by a sports economics professor. I think that's pretty cool.)