Sunday, December 8, 2013

Attending the Winter Meetings



For the third time since I moved to Tampa in 2006, this week I will be making the drive to Orlando to attend the Baseball Winter Meetings. Each time I’ve gone, I’ve written about the experience.

The first time, I was in awe of the Major Leaguers and baseball personalities milling around the lobby of the Swan and Dolphin Hotel. I was a complete outsider, a fan taking it all in with a fly-on-the-wall approach.

The second time, although I was writing in earnest, I still didn’t know anyone. Again, I wandered through the Swan and Dolphin lobby with no direction or purpose. Although I did touch base with a few fans from Twitter and one national baseball blogger.

This time, I think I will feel a little more a part of the horde. Although I am not a “formal” media member, I have tweeted, chatted, emailed, or interviewed some folks in the baseball industry who I know will be attendance. There are people I am looking forward to seeing and talking to – I might even do an interview or two.

One person I hope to meet and chat with is new International League and Carolina League reporter Jessica Quiroli. Jessica is a veteran Minor League reporter who has covered many leagues and many players. She is one of the best in the business. And now she will be covering the Rays top minor league team, the Durham Bulls.

We’ll see who else I run into and mingle with. Perhaps I might even be on the cutting edge of a rumor or breaking news: Will the Rays trade David Price? Will Matt Joyce be dealt? Can I get Andrew Friedman to sign my 6-year old left-handed nephew to a developmental contract?