Friday, May 22, 2015

Rays Index guest post on Tampa Bay sports economics

Before I started this site, I occasionally wrote at Cork Gaines's blog Rays Index. Cork allowed me to write whatever I wanted about the Rays. It was a great opportunity to establish a voice and write long pieces about the team, the players, fans, and the ballpark experience.

Cork was also a big help when I started this site, providing advice and words of wisdom.

With that in mind, over the last year, I knew I wanted to write a guest post for Rays Index that coincided with what I write about here. Something that would inform his readers about the market and the Rays ability to win "hearts and minds".

For a local comparison, this is a blogging version of when one of the smaller Tampa Bay micro breweries go to Cigar City Brewery and brew their own top beer and sell it in the Cigar City tasting room.

With an invite to Rays Index secure, I decided to explore the conclusions of few interesting recent economic studies and look at their results from the Rays perspective.

While I think the article turned out well, the overall result is not good.
we can conclude the Tampa Bay market is overstretched and over-saturated, especially in baseball. The decisions of professional sports leagues and city governments in St. Petersburg, Tampa, Clearwater, and Dunedin have created an environment difficult for the success of Major League sports.

Click here to read the post. And thanks again to Cork for the opportunity.

Tampa Bay sports market is overstretched and over-saturated (Rays Index)